Skip to main content

Software workaround for corrupted RAM in OS X

Recently my computer has been acting up. Software started crashing, compilations failing, etc. Many small errors that I could not replicate. I wasn't too concerned, because I'm a natural tinkerer - I play with software, install many different additions and one of the side effects can be an unstable operating system. Eventually my system stopped booting - the partition table was corrupted. I had to wipe it and reinstall (which was a massive pain in the ass). I also tried to run some hardware checks just in case (the computer is over three years old), but the "Apple Hardware Test" was hanging each time I run (bad sign huh?). I'v eventually run memtest86 overnight and discovered that part of my RAM is corrupted. My computer is a Mac Book Pro Retina with expired warranty.


Normally I would buy new ram and install it myself, but the retina MBPs have RAM permanently soldered to the logic board. Instead of paying through the nose to get it fixed I researched software solutions. Linux users have a very handy kernel option that will tell the OS not to use a particular range of memory addresses - it's called memap. Situation on OS X is not so rosy. The only option available is to restrict memory up to the point where it's corrupted (but this way you lose everything after it). In my case I had around 60Mb range of corrupted memory in the 13th gigabyte. My only option was to restrict the system to use 12Gb. This is the procedure:

  1. Run memtest86 overnight to figure where your memory is corrupted.
  2. Estimate the lowest range of usable memory (in my case it was 12000Mb).
  3. Restrict the memory by setting a kernel flag: 
    sudo nvram boot-args="maxmem=12000"

This did the trick and made my laptop usable again!

Comments

  1. Thanks, I found out also this https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/179461/temporarily-disabling-ram-to-mimic-a-lower-spec-machine

    and your post.

    Now I can update!

    from "Macbookpro11.3" with 16gb ram. I limited to "maxmem 8192"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best zen cooler is a portable and powerful air cooler that is perfect for the summer heat. The air cooler is small and handy and can be taken anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the great work with your articles. gwalior apartments

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment